Are you wondering if you know how to pack dishes properly so that you don’t have to buy a whole new set once you’ve moved into your new home? No matter how tempted you are to stack your dishes in a box and pack bubble wrap around them – that is the last thing you want to do. Well, that’s if you want your dishes to arrive at your new home in one piece. The thing about packing dishes is that it’s not necessarily difficult if you know how to do it properly.
Packing materials needed for packing dishes
In order to successfully move your dishes, you’ll need the correct packing materials on hand. Here’s what our professional, local moving company recommends:
- Small to medium heavy duty packing boxes (skip boxes reclaimed from the grocery store) and/or dish pack boxes
- Bubble wrap
- Tissue paper or another kind of packing paper (newspaper can leave ink on your dishes)
- Packing tape
- Sharpie marker
How to pack dishes for moving
Not that we’ve covered what you need to pack your dishes properly, let’s go over the proper steps:
- Assemble your moving boxes using packing tape along the seams to reinforce the boxes and to ensure they will not break.
- Line the inside of the moving boxes with bubble wrap.
- Wrap each individual dish in packing paper.
- Pack dinner plates, dessert plates, and other types of plates on their sides with bubble wrap between each plate. Repeat the process for bowls and other dishes. Do not pack dishes flat or stacked on top of each other.
- Fill any empty space in moving boxes with packing paper and/or bubble wrap.
- Do not overpack a box and do not let the weight of individual boxes exceed 40 pounds.
- Tape the top of each box well and use your marker to label the box. We recommend using the words “kitchen”, “dishes”, and “fragile” when labeling.
- If you’re moving your belongings, make sure you pack dish boxes on the ground and DO NOT place other boxes, especially heavy ones, on them.
Professional packing services is also an option
If you’re still worried about packing your dishes properly or simply don’t have enough hours in the day to make sure it’s done correctly, consider hiring professional packers for the job.
At Changing Spaces Moving, Inc., we provide full-service packing services in the Huntsville and Birmingham metros that are designed to take the stress out packing. If you’re interested in a packing and/or moving quote in Madison, Homewood, or elsewhere in either of the metros we serve, please contact the local moving pros at Changing Spaces Moving Inc., today!