According to a recent article, more parents are making the decision to move in with their adult children while they are younger, healthier, and even still working. While the reasons behind each move vary, there’s no question a reverse-boomerang effect is happening across the country. In this blog post, we’re going to dive in and unpack this a bit more.
There are several reasons why parents may choose to move in with their adult children
- Aging parents: As parents get older, they may need more assistance with daily activities, such as cooking, cleaning, and personal care. Moving in with adult children may provide a way for them to receive the help they need while remaining in a familiar environment.
- Financial considerations: With rising healthcare costs, housing costs, and other expenses, some older adults may not be able to afford the cost of living on their own. Moving in with adult children may be a more affordable option for everyone, allowing both parties to save money on rent, utilities, and other living expenses.
- Caregiving responsibilities: If an older parent has a health condition or disability, their adult children may take on the role of caregiver. On the flip side, finding affordable daycare is also an increasing challenge. In some cases, moving in together may be the most practical way to provide the necessary support and assistance for all parties.
- Family dynamics: Some families have strong bonds and value the idea of living in close proximity to one another. Moving in together may allow for more frequent family gatherings and bonding opportunities.
- Cultural norms: In some cultures, it is common for older parents to live with their adult children.
Overall, the decision to move in with adult children is a personal one that can be influenced by a variety of factors. It is important for families to have open and honest discussions about expectations and boundaries before making such a significant decision.
How to help everyone adjust to the new family dynamic
- Set clear expectations: Before moving in together, it’s important to have an open and honest discussion about everyone’s expectations. This includes things like house rules, division of household chores, and personal boundaries.
- Establish privacy: It’s important for everyone to have their own private space within the home. This could mean setting up a separate bedroom or living area for the parents, or establishing certain times of day when everyone can have some alone time.
- Share responsibilities: Living together means sharing household responsibilities. Make sure everyone has a clear understanding of what their responsibilities are and that they are divided fairly.
- Communicate openly: Communication is key in any living situation, but especially when living with family members. Encourage open and honest communication and address any issues or conflicts as they arise.
- Respect each other’s lifestyles: Parents and adult children may have different lifestyles and routines. It’s important to respect each other’s preferences and find ways to accommodate each other’s needs.
- Make time for fun: Living together doesn’t have to be all work and no play. Make time for family outings, game nights, or other fun activities to strengthen family bonds and make living together a positive experience.
- Seek outside help if needed: Sometimes, living together can be challenging. It’s okay to seek outside help, such as counseling or mediation, if needed to work through any issues or conflicts that may arise.
By following these tips and maintaining open communication, parents and adult children can successfully navigate living together and build strong family relationships.
Need help moving your parents in?
At Changing Spaces Moving, Inc., we are a full-service moving company offering local and long-distance moving services in Mountain Brook, Hoover, and throughout Greater Birmingham as well as Madison and the Huntsville metro. We are a locally owned and family-operated moving company that has been moving families since 2003. Not a franchise, we are a team of courteous and fast moving professionals who take pride in helping our customers during every phase of the moving process. For a no-obligation moving estimate, please contact us today!